Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Captain America Was Apparently Still Around; Is Dead

I'm not much of a comic book guy (read: I've seen a girl naked), but I do possess a passing familiarity with some of the bigger names in the realm: your Supermen, your Batmen, your Spider-Men. Captain America was a character who I hadn't heard much about in some time (maybe since I enjoyed the kickass TV movie about him in reruns), and I was pleased to recently learn that he was still around, currently playing a pivotal role in a Marvel series entitled "Civil War".

I also learned that, as of today, he's dead.

I think I'm depressed by this news; but, more urgently, I'm curious to know how nerds feel about it. Are they also sad? Are they happy? Was Captain America's death fitting to the arc of the story, if not altogether necessary? How will it effect their purchasing habits regarding pajamas and bed sheets?

Despite the many questions that this new information has raised for me, one sad fact seems clear. As I understand it, the "Civil War" storyline is intended as a metaphor for the current political climate. Now that Captain America is dead, I guess that means Bush wins. Nuts.

No comments: